Once you have quit completely (at this stage there is no such thing as occasional use), you need to change your friends and your circumstances. Some people join Cocaine Anonymous (CA) and meet other people committed to staying clean. As they say in CA, you need new playgrounds and playmates. You need to make a break from the kind of situations where you’ll be offered a ‘line’.
Use the following guidelines alongside our How to Quit Action Plan in Part 4 of the How To Quit book.
Please note all page and chapter references in this article are from How to Quit.
- Start by taking the Basic Supplements a week before you quit.
- Follow our How to Quit Diet. You will have neglected your health and your diet, since these drugs are powerful appetite suppressants. Your health now needs attention, so it’s time to have a crash course in healthy eating. This will quickly make you feel better and stronger.
- The chances are if you use cocaine or crack, you smoke cigarettes, another dopamine-elevating stimulant and, ultimately, this is important to quit too. But, for now, at the very least, do not increase the amount you smoke and, ideally, keep it below ten a day. For the same reasons, you’re probably a coffee drinker. Similarly, don’t increase your caffeine intake and ideally keep to a maximum of two cups a day. After 30 days, work towards stopping coffee (Chapter 19) and then cigarettes when you are ready (Chapter 21).
- Take 20–25g of oral What it does: Strengthens immune system – fights infections. Makes collagen, keeping bones, skin and joints firm and strong. Antioxidant, detoxifying pollutants and protecting against… in divided doses (or up to ‘bowel tolerance’: the point where you get loose bowels) as a powder in water diluted one-third with juice. Take this for a week until you are through the worst of your withdrawal symptoms.
- Take the Stimulant Prescription (see pg 403) , which provides tyrosine, adaptogenic herbs and B vitamins, including pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), needed for the adrenal glands. Also take NADH, which is similar to a B vitamin, to help correct reward deficiency and get your natural Dopamine is a neurotransmitter (chemical messenger) found within the brain. It has a variety of influences on brain function including playing a role in regulating… going.
- If you feel extremely tired and low, and are overeating, take extra L-tyrosine as well as extra vitamin B6 and What it does: Strengthens bones and teeth, promotes healthy muscles by helping them to relax, also important for PMS, important for heart muscles and nervous…. Tyrosine is usually available in 500mg capsules. Take up to three (1,500mg) twice a day on an empty stomach. Do not exceed this amount. Excessive consumption of tyrosine may occasionally cause symptoms of over-stimulation: shakiness, rapid heartbeat, irritability or insomnia. In this case, reduce the tyrosine by half, and avoid taking it during the late afternoon or in the evening. The Stimulant Prescription (see pg 403) contains 2g a day of tyrosine.
- If you are unable to relax or sleep, take the Sleep Prescription (see pg 397). If you can get it, take 1,000mg of GABA on an empty stomach in the evening to help you relax.
If you are able to access it, IV nutrient therapy makes the biggest and quickest difference. Withdrawal and abstinence symptoms go away rapidly, often after the first two or three IV sessions. You may also be willing and able to quit all stimulants. Once you have completed the IV therapy, follow the recommendations above. IV therapy is discussed in Chapter 30. To find treatment centres offering nutrient IV therapy click here.
The most important keys for you to follow are:
- Rebalance Your Brain with Amino acids are commonly known as the building blocks of protein. There are 20 standard amino acids from which almost all proteins are made. Nine… (Chapter 7) – you are experiencing A neurotransmitter is a...