Firstly, don’t do it alone. You need professional support. Our recommendation is that you check into a good treatment clinic where you will be medically detoxed. As well as quitting you need to change your friends and your circumstances. Some people join Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and meet other people committed to staying clean. As they say in NA, you need new playgrounds and playmates. You need to make a break from the kind of situations where you’ll be offered heroin. With medical supervision, the nutritional support recommended in Chapter 27 can greatly reduce your abstinence symptoms and improve your chances of success.
- One week in advance begin taking the Basic Supplements.
- It is certain that your digestive system will be damaged, since heroin shuts down digestion, so you need a digestive-system tune up. As a consequence you’ll be low in essential fats. Eating oily fish, seeds and supplements of omega-3 can help to heal the damage. Read Chapter 8 and follow the Digestion Prescription (see pg 393) of our How to Quit Action Plan.
- In terms of specific supplements, you need the Opiate Prescription (see pg 411). This contains D-phenylalanine, which is the amino acid that helps restore your brain’s normal production of endorphins and enkephalins. It also contains natural relaxants (GABA or taurine/glutamine), What it does: Strengthens bones and teeth, promotes healthy muscles by helping them to relax, also important for PMS, important for heart muscles and nervous… and tryptophan or 5-HTP. (Taking NAC 500mg twice a day and turmeric 500mg twice a day with meals will help with ongoing detoxification and to increase production of enkephalin.)
- Two nutrients included in the Opiate Prescription (see pg 411) are niacin (vitamin B3) and What it does: Strengthens immune system – fights infections. Makes collagen, keeping bones, skin and joints firm and strong. Antioxidant, detoxifying pollutants and protecting against…. You’ll need these in large amounts for a small period of time. Back in 1977 Dr Alfred Libby and Irwin Stone pioneered a detoxifying treatment for drug addicts using megadoses of vitamin C. In one study involving 30 heroin addicts, they gave 30–85g a day and reported a 100 per cent success rate. Dr Abram Hoffer reported similar results in one week with ten heroin addicts using 50g of vitamin C combined with high-dose niacin. If you take too much vitamin C you get loose bowels. Take vitamin C up to bowel tolerance levels.
In an ideal world, the detox process at the treatment clinic will include six to ten days of IV nutrient therapy (see Chapter 30), with a minimum back up of medication. Alternatively, IV therapy can take place after medical detox. After IV therapy, follow the recommendations outlined above.
The most important keys for you to follow are:
- Rebalance Your Brain with Amino acids are commonly known as the building blocks of protein. There are 20 standard amino acids from which almost all proteins are made. Nine… (Chapter 7) – here you will find out how your symptoms are all connected with Dopamine is a neurotransmitter (chemical messenger) found within the brain. It has a variety of influences on brain function including playing a role in regulating… and opioid shut down and which specific amino acids will get your brain back on track.
- Your Gut is Your Brain’s Best Friend (Chapter 8) – by restoring your gut’s ability to digest and absorb, your improved diet and supplements will have a more positive effect.
- Rebuild Your Brain with Essential Fats (Chapter 10) – by optimising your intake of the brain’s essential fats you can help to undo the damage.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep (Chapter 13) – sleep is a great healer, and learning how to sleep and to chill out without drugs is a key step to recovery.
- Get the Past out of Your Future (Chapter 18) – although this might not be something you are immediately keen to be involved in, once you...