410g can chickpeas
1 tbsp coconut oil, mild or medium (not extra virgin) olive oil or butter
1 white onion, finely sliced
4 medium carrots, thickly grated
800ml (just under 2pt) hot vegetable stock
80g (just over 3oz) coriander, flat leaf parsley or a mix of the two
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and then blend them until If necessary, add a splash of water to get a pureéd consistency.
- Heat the oil or butter in a large saucepan and gently sweat the onion for around 5 minutes to soften it.
- Stir in the carrots then pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the carrot tastes soft and a little sweet rather than coarse and raw, stirring in the puréed chickpeas halfway through.
- Meanwhile, place the herbs, oil and lemon juice in a blender or food processor and blitz until the herbs are finely chopped and fairly smooth.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and place a dollop of the herb garnish in the middle before sprinkling with black pepper.
Gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free • V • Can be made in advance, but add the garnish before serving • The soup, but not the herb garnish, is suitable for freezing