In fact, just about any allergic, inflammatory or metabolic disorder may involve or create impaired liver function, resulting in eczema, asthma, chronic fatigue, chronic infections, to name but a few, which in turn affect liver function. Because the liver struggles valiantly on, working hard, it can be some time before serious symptoms of dysfunction appear. However, you may find that you are feeling tired and sluggish, blocked up or headachy, with less tolerance of alcohol, sugary foods or caffeine – this is a possible sign that your liver may benefit from a detox. But what’s the solution?
In the old days of total fasts, where you drank only water, naturopaths used to talk about the ‘healing crisis’ where you felt worse before you felt better. But often this was really just a crisis! For safety, our bodies store excess toxins in fat. When we lose weight rapidly, those toxins are released, and the liver ¬ as an organ of detoxification – has to deal with them. The idea of a liver detox is to support and take the load off the organ by providing the nutrients it needs – not to give it even more work to do!
A lot of detox diets are not based on what your liver actually needs in the way of nutrients. My 9-Day Liver Detox is built on nothing but sound nutritional principles. It aims to support your liver’s ability to do its job detoxing your body by removing anti-nutrients – in other words, toxins – from the diet and replacing them with the very nutrients it needs for optimum efficiency. You will be taking in a large quantity of the nutrients that are directly beneficial to your liver and which will actively support its detoxification function. It can then do its job of safely removing toxins from your fat stores and processing them appropriately without any ill effects. When your liver is firing on all cylinders you experience
• Increased energy and vitality
• Clearer skin
• Freedom from digestive complaints
• Regular bowel movements
• Fresh breath
• Clearer sinuses
• Fewer infections
• Brighter eyes
• Sharper mind
There are five habits to break, and four habits to make:
FIVE HABITS TO BREAK
1. Wheat The gluten in wheat, called gliadi, irritates the gut. Give your inside a break by avoiding all bread made from wheat and all commercially made cakes, biscuits, pastries and pasta. Also, check the labels of all other commercially made foods to ensure that no wheat is included. Instead, buy non-wheat, gliadin-free alternatives such as oats and oat cakes, brown rice and rice cakes, quinoa, corn, millet or buckwheat.
2. Milk If I told you I was breastfeeding at the age of 56from another species of animal would you think I was weird? Us adult humans are simply not designed to drink milk and you help Detox your body by having a break from milk products from any animal source, cheese, cream, butter, ice cream, yogurt and food with milk solids, whey or casein on the label. Instead, buy rice, almond, coconut or quinoa milk, coconut or pumpkin seed butter, or tahini or soya cream (or make your own with finely ground cashews and water), or any nut or seed butter.
3. Caffeine is treated as a toxin by the body. Give yourself a break from coffee, black tea, colas and diet colas, Red Bull and other caffeinated drinks. Reduce coffee to a maximum of one cup a day before starting the detox, or you could be in for a ferocious headache as your body detoxifies. Substitute up to two weak cups of green tea, rooibos, herbal tea or water. Stay away from decaf.
4. Alcohol is your liver’s enemy. Give your liver a total break. Replace with tonic water or organic grape juice in a wine glass so that you feel (and look) as though you are having an alcoholic drink.
5. Bad fats Take a break from all meat, all fried food (including any vegetables, French fries and crisps), all processed foods containing hydrogenated (or partially hydrogenated) oils, commercial mayonnaise and all margarines and spreads. Substitute with essential fats from fish (but not fried fish), eggs, olive oil, raw nuts and seeds, and nut and seed butters and oils. (But don’t cook with them; if you are intending to use oil in cooking, use only olive oil or coconut butter.)
FOUR HABITS TO MAKE
1. Drink eight glasses of water each day, ideally filtered or bottled natural mineral water. Your detox potential is enhanced if you have a mug of hot water with the juice of half a lemon twice a day, as this encourages bile flow, which helps remove toxins. So, you will also need nine lemons.
2. Eat the big five superfoods each day. These are seeds - pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds, and flaxseeds, which contain the omega-3 and omega-6 essential fats to help repair damaged cell membranes. They are also rich in the minerals needed for the detoxification and antioxidant enzymes. Have the equivalent of a tablespoon a day.
Dark green leafy vegetables are rich in vitamin C, folate, chlorophyll and antioxidants. They are best eaten raw in a salad, as cooking destroys their vitamin content. Cruciferous vegetables (brassicas), comprising broccoli (Tenderstem is particularly good), Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, turnip, kohlrabi. These contain a number of essential compounds that help support detoxification. Onions (especially red), spring onions, shallots and garlic. These produce the sulphur necessary for the detoxification process and can reduce inflammation. Again, eat raw if you can! Eat berries because they are the best for antioxidants. ......
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
Find out more