Throughout history, aphrodisiacs have been a popular way for people to turn up the heat, so to speak. So what can you take to boost your performance before the big day? Read on to learn about some natural aphrodisiacs: There are several nutrients and herbs that you could try to help give your libido a direct boost. The most potent ones include B vitamins, What it does: Component of over 200 enzymes in the body, essential for growth, important for healing, controls hormones, aids ability to cope with stress… and antioxidants:
1. Obviously dark chocolate in moderation is the first on this list. Not only is it a popular gift, but it also contains tryptophan, a chemical that is known to enhance mood. It also has many different antioxidants which are believed to protect against heart disease and high blood pressure. Go for organic if you can, with a cocoa content of 70% or above, as the higher the cocoa content of the chocolate, the greater the flavonoid content.
2. Research has found that men low in zinc are low in Testosterone is a male sex hormone important for sexual and reproductive development…., have a low sex drive and a low sperm count, it’s no wonder considering a man can lose up to 3mg of zinc per ejaculation. Oysters are the richest known food source of zinc, which is why they have a reputation for being a powerful aphrodisiac, so if you’re going out to dinner and it’s on the menu, you know what to do.
3. Antioxidants are natural aphrodisiacs; nutrients such as vitamins A, C, E, the minerals zinc and What it does: Antioxidant properties help to protect against free radicals and carcinogens, reduces inflammation, stimulates immune system to fight infections, promotes a healthy heart,… and plant nutrients such as Bioflavonoids are sometimes referred to as vitamin P. Flavonoids are widely distributed in plants and are known for their antioxidant activity…. protect the body’s cells from damage by oxidants, so always eat a rainbow of fruit and vegetables. Instead of the usual box of chocolates, why not opt for fresh, heart-shaped strawberries dipped in dark chocolate this year. Strawberries are low GL and loaded with anti-oxidants such as What it does: Strengthens immune system – fights infections. Makes collagen, keeping bones, skin and joints firm and strong. Antioxidant, detoxifying pollutants and protecting against… and flavonoids, so you can indulge without the guilt.
4. Rumour has it that when the Aztecs discovered the avocado tree, they called it: ‘ahuacuatl,’ which translates to ‘testicle tree’ because the fruit hangs on the avocado tree in pairs, resembling testicles. Since then, avocados have been considered an aphrodisiac. Even though the aphrodisiac claims have not been scientifically validated, avocados contain more What it does: Enables nutrients to move in and waste products to move out of cells, promotes healthy nerves and muscles, maintains fluid balance in… than bananas and are a good source of beta-carotene. Remember though, no more than three servings in any week.
5. For the ladies out there, Dong quai, a widely used Chinese herb tones the female reproductive organs and may therefore help increase the desire for sex. The dose of powdered herb is between 2-4g per day.