Please note all page and chapter references in this article are from How to Quit.
- One week before you begin to quit, take the Basic Supplements, plus the Mood Prescription, which includes tryptophan and/or 5-HTP for promoting Serotonin is a hormone found naturally in the brain and digestive tract. It is often referred to as the ‘happy hormone’ as it influences mood…., as well as What it does: Helps balance blood sugar, normalise hunger and reduce cravings, improves lifespan, helps protect cells, essential for heart function. Deficiency Signs: Excessive or… for supporting blood sugar balance.
- Set yourself reasonable targets based on halving your sugar intake each week until you have none. For example, if you normally have two sugars in your tea, have one in the first week, and half a teaspoonful in the second week.
- Switch to xylitol so that you don’t have the blood sugar rush.
- Have half a teaspoon of cinnamon in a drink, on your cereal or on a light dessert. You can also get supplements of cinnamon, in which case take these with the chromium supplement in the Mood Prescription (see pg 416) .
- If you are craving sugar, first have a large glass of water, then a piece of fruit with some nuts or seeds (eating Proteins are large molecules consisting of chains of amino acids. Proteins are essential nutrients for the human body – they are a building block of… with Carbohydrates are the primary source of energy for the body as they can be broken down into glucose (sugar) more readily than either protein or… keeps your blood sugar level even).
- Always eat breakfast. You are aiming for three meals and two snacks a day. By eating little and often you help support your blood sugar balance. Check here for advice and snacks.
- Minimise caffeine and alcohol, as these both affect your blood sugar.
- Follow our How to Quit Diet in Chapter 28, Part 4.
The most important keys for you to follow are:
Rebalance Your Brain with Amino acids are commonly known as the building blocks of protein. There are 20 standard amino acids from which almost all proteins are made. Nine… (Chapter 7) – this is because specific amino acids, especially tryptophan, help restore the underlying serotonin deficiency that leads to carbohydrate craving.
Balance your Blood Sugar to Gain Energy and Reduce Cravings (Chapter 11) – this gives you the understanding necessary to become a master of controlling your sugar balance, energy, weight and cravings.
What to expect 30 days later
After 30 days your cravings for carbs will be much reduced and probably your need for extra chromium will be too. So, cut back to one 200mcg tablet with breakfast, but do keep taking the Basic Supplements. If you find this doesn’t work as well as the two you were taking as part of the Mood Prescription (see pg 416), there’s no harm in continuing. Perhaps try taking 2 x 200mcg.
For more information read How to Quit Without Feeling S**T
The advice given here is not a substitute for the advice of your doctor or other suitably qualified person. For any serious addiction it is vital that you do have professional support. The recommendations given here help to ensure you are optimally nourished after stopping an addictive substance which may have had a negative influence on your nutritional status.