- A week before you start to reduce or quit caffeine follow our How to Quit Diet in Chapter 28, paying special attention to the three low-GL rules: eat low-GL foods, protein with carbohydrates, and graze rather than gorge (eat little and often) – it’s also important to start your day with a low-GL breakfast.
- A week before you quit, start taking the Basic Supplements.
- On the day before you quit, also start taking the Stimulant Prescription (see pg 403) This includes extra dosages of the amino acid tyrosine to support your own ability to make dopamine and adrenalin, as well as extra chromium to help increase your sensitivity to insulin, plus adaptogens such as ginseng and Siberian ginseng, which help with fatigue.
- Give caffeine up slowly. Set yourself the target of getting down to one regular coffee (100mg), one cup of black tea, one high-strength caffeinated drink (80mg), or two regular caffeinated drinks (for example 40mg x 2), before quitting completely. Do this by cutting your daily intake by a third each day until you reach a daily intake of no more than the equivalent of 100mg. For example, if you have three coffees a day, have two tomorrow, and one the next day, then quit completely.
- For the first week after quitting have two cups of green tea a day.
- You may feel sleepy for the first few days. Let yourself sleep. There’s a good chance that you’re an adrenalin addict and are simply in sleep deficit . Let yourself recover. That’s why it’s best to quit when you don’t have too much going on, or during a holiday. Let yourself unwind.
- If you do get a terrible headache, take 3g vitamin C and drink lots of water.
- If you feel really edgy or irritable take chromium 200mcg up to a maximum of three a day.
- If you feel really depressed take SAM 400mg, or alternatively 1,000mg of tyrosine. Break open the capsule and swill it around your mouth and under your tongue before swallowing to help it to be absorbed quickly.
- Drink at least 1 litre, preferably 2 litres, of water a day for the first week after quitting. The full content of this report is only viewable by 100% Health Club members.
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
JOIN THE WITH A FREE
ONE MONTH TRIAL MEMBERSHIP.
Find out more