Detox Do’s and Don’ts
For an instant upgrade in how you feel and look, there are four habits to break and four habits to make. So, let’s start with the hard part.
To give your system a break, you need to avoid:
1. Wheat. All wheat contains Gluten is a protein found in the cereals wheat, rye and barley. Obvious sources of gluten in the diet are bread, pasta, breakfast cereals and… and this irritates the gut. So, give your insides a break.
2. Milk. It’s the most common food An allergen is a substance that is foreign to the body and which can cause an allergic reaction in certain people. Pollen is an example… and most people produce antibodies to it. In other words, it causes your immune system to react. It’s also mucus forming. Give your system 9 days off milk and all dairy products.
3. Caffeine. This might be the hardest part if you’re addicted. But that’s the point. Caffeine is an addictive toxin that makes your liver work hard to detoxify it. If you can bear it, cut out caffeine for 9 days. If not, then two cups of green tea a day is the thin edge of the wedge.
4. Alcohol. Of course, this is your liver’s worst enemy. Take a complete break for the 9 days.
The habits you need to make are:
1. Drink 8 glasses of water a day. After all, your body is 66% water and this alone will help you detoxify.
2. Eat superfoods to spring-clean your system including fresh apricots, cantaloupe, citrus fruits, kiwi, papayas, peaches, mangoes, melons, red grapes and all types of berries. Vegetables that are especially good for detoxification include artichokes, peppers, beets, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, kale, pumpkin, spinach, sweet potato, tomato, watercress, and bean and seed sprouts.
3. Load up on anti-aging antioxidants. They are the key players in detoxifying your body. If you boost your intake, from both food and supplements, you’ll definitely notice the difference.
4. Take liver-detoxifying supplements. From MSM to milk thistle, there’s a combination of seven top detoxifiers to give your liver’s detox capacity an upgrade. Look for a supplement that contains: N-Acetyl Cysteine, Milk Thistle Extract, Cruciferous Vegetable Compounds, MSM, Ellagic Acid, Dandelion Extract and Alpha Lipoic Acid.
Once you start making these changes, you’ll soon notice a difference in how you feel and look. You should start feeling more energised and motivated, and your skin and eyes should appear clearer.
In addition to these dietary changes, make sure your daily supplement programme includes a good, all-around Antioxidants are substances that protect cells within the body from damage caused by free radicals. They help to strengthen the body’s ability to fight infection… complex and a liver-support complex – visit HOLFORDirect to purchase supplements online and take advantage of 100% Health Member discounts.
For extra support and some delicious recipes, plus my 9 day detox plan, read The Holford 9-Day Liver Detox. 100% Health Club members save 25% on this book throughout January 2017.