The ‘Low GL’ Part
Do the Low GL phase for 3 weeks*. You’ll
- Run on GLUCOSE
- Keep your blood sugar even and avoid those dips that make you feel hungry and tired.
- Eat three 10GL meals a day plus two 5GL snacks
- Fill your plate with half vegetables and one quarter low GL carbs (7 GLs). The Hybrid Diet, Chapter 23 – The Slow Carb Phase, shows you exactly what these foods are and how much to it. Half a cup of Khorosan bulgur, which boils in 8 minuters, is an example.
- Have no more than 45 GLs (glycemic load) a day
- Choose food that will fill you up for longer (you know this by the glycemic load)
- Have those ‘slow’ carbs like, wholegrain bulgur, brown rice and wholewheat pasta in smaller proportions as defined in the book
- Cut out the sugar
The ‘High Fat’ Part
Then, do the ‘High Fat’ phase for 1 week*. You’ll
- Run on KETONES
- Keep your blood sugar even and lower, resolve carb cravings
- Eat three meals a day (one could be a Hybrid Latte drink with a tablespoon of C8 oil - Ketofast) plus one snack.
- Just like the ‘slow carb’ phase, fill half your your plate with vegetables (but avoiding high carb veg such as potatoes, parsnips, broad beans and sweet potatoes), and one quarter with protein – the amount of meat or fish that would fit into the palm of your hand. It’s all explained in Chapter 22 of the Hybrid Diet – The High Fat Phase.
- Keep ‘simple’ carbs to the bare minimum ie have no more than 15 GL of carbs a day. There’s a list, on page 230 of what constistutes 5 GLs – eg a small serving of berries, 2 oatcakes and a small serving of bulgur. That for example, would be all your carbs for the day. The photo below shows you what 5 GLs looks like.
- Have 10 Fat Units a day – see p.227. For example, a Hybrid Latté is 3 FUs, half an avocado with taramasalata is 2.5, as is two eggs with salmon or three slices of bacon, or a salmon steak with a bag of spinach sautéed with a tablespoon of coconut butter, butter or ghee. Snack on high fat nuts and seeds – walnuts, pecans, peanuts and pumpkin seeds are good – avoid cashews.
- Measure if you are in ketosis using the ketonix breathalyser (see www.ketonix.com/hybrid and when you are - stay there and reap the benefits!
- Experiment with an 18 carb fast – dinner at 6 or 7pm, Hybrid latté in the morning, and lunch at 12 or 1pm.
My recommendation is to spend one week a month in the high fat/ketogenic phase, but if you like it do it for two weeks. Some people lose more weight on slow carbs, others on high fat.
It’s variation not moderation that is the key to health
ABOUT THE BOOK
The Hybrid Diet is available from HOLFORDirect and they have it on Special Offer for 20% off (RRP: £16.99) throughout June.
MORE ON THE DIET
More info and a short film can be found at www.hybriddiet.co.uk