Much of what we recommend in our How to Quit Action Plan in the How to Quit book you can do for yourself or with the guidance and support of a nutritional therapist. However, the process of weaning yourself off antidepressants is something you must do with the support and guidance of your doctor. Ask your doctor to wean you off gradually.
- A week before you begin reducing your antidepressant, start taking the Basic Supplements.
- Increase your intake of essential fats, both by eating oily fish three times a week and supplementing 1,000mg of omega-3 fish oil twice a day as recommended in the Mood Prescription (see p. 416). For some people, fish oil can be miraculous.
- Supplement tryptophan or 5-HTP, (included in the Mood Prescription(see p. 416). However, we recommend that 5-HTP not be taken in significant amounts, above 50mg, if you are on an antidepressant. 5-HTP helps the body make serotonin whereas SSRI antidepressants stop it being broken down. If your doctor is willing to wean you off antidepressants, it helps if you are weaned onto 5-HTP at the same time, gradually building the daily amount up to a maximum of 300mg, but no more than 100mg before you are completely off the antidepressant. In our experience, this minimises and shortens the withdrawal effects that many people experience when coming off antidepressants. Alternatively, don’t take any 5-HTP until you have stopped the antidepressant drug completely. Then take 200mg a day. Two of the hardest to come off are the SSRI, Seroxat, and the new SNRI drug, Efexor. The withdrawal symptoms are longer lasting and the drugs are best tapered off gradually over at least three months. Other antidepressants, such as Zoloft and Prozac, can be tapered off over a week or two.
- Supplement with B vitamins, including vitamin B6 50mg daily with meals. There are several medical conditions associated with depression where B6 plays a pivotal role. Supplement with folic acid 800mcg per day. Thirty-eight per cent of depressed patients have low blood levels of folate. These B vitamins are also included in the Mood Prescription(see p. 416).
- Make sure you are on a low-GL diet by following our How to Quit Diet strictly.
- The mineral chromium (......
The full content of this report is only viewable by 100% Health Club members.
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
JOIN THE WITH A FREEONE MONTH TRIAL MEMBERSHIP.
Find out more