- Question Can the amount of sugar one consumes result in an ovarian cyst? S. MAnswer Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is strongly linked to too much sugar, which causes too much insulinInsulin is a hormone made by the pancreas. It is responsible for making the body’s cells absorb glucose (sugar) from the blood…. release, which then results in insulin resistance or insensitivity. As well as avoiding sugar and eating a low GL diet the mineral chromiumWhat it does: Helps balance blood sugar, normalise hunger and reduce cravings, improves lifespan, helps protect cells, essential for heart function. Deficiency Signs: Excessive or…, taking 200mcg twice a day, improves insulin sensitivity. There’s a chapter on PCOS in my book Good Medicine.
- Question I always feel tired mid afternoon and often have to go to bed for two or more hours – even though I’ve had cereal/ porridge for breakfast and perhaps salad/ soup lunch. S.CAnswer It does sound like an afternoon blood sugar dip. It’s actually healthy to start early, then siesta, but two or more hours sounds like too much.Beans help to stabilize blood sugar. Try having some with your lunch, or include more proteinProteins are large molecules consisting of chains of amino acids. Proteins are essential nutrients for the human body – they are a building block of… such as fish. Also, you could try a teaspoon of Carboslow fibreFibre is an important part of a balanced diet. There are two type of fibre; soluble and insoluble. Insoluble fibre helps your bowel to pass… with a glass of water before your lunch to help even out a potential blood sugar dip. Are you taking one of my Optimum Nutrition Packs, two strips a day, one for breakfast one for lunch? That often perks up your energy. Also, you could try a Moringa tea in the afternoon. That’s a natural energy booster.
- Question I’m on a low GL/ low sugar diet after being pre-diabetic ten months ago. I managed to lose a stone and bring HbA1c levels back to normal. But I always suffer with SAD symptoms during the dark winter days and recently my cravings for carbs and sweet things have risen sharply, testing my willpower significantly. Any tips for dealing with these cravings and SAD? Thank you! C.BAnswer SAD can be caused by a dip in serotoninSerotonin is a hormone found naturally in the brain and digestive tract. It is often referred to as the ‘happy hormone’ as it influences mood…. and/or a dip in vitamin DWhat it does: Helps maintain strong and healthy bones by retaining calcium. Deficiency Signs: Joint pain or stiffness, backache, tooth decay, muscle cramps, hair loss….. So, firstly, you need 1,000ius of vitamin D, 25mcg, every day. My multi, in two pills, gives 15mcg or 600ius so get something like Biocare’s Vitamin D Mulsion and have a drop a day.You can boost serotonin in two ways: one is by supplementing 5-HTP. Start with 100mg. That’s what I have in my Mood Food formula, taking 2 capsules a day. This also gives you another 5mcg of vitamin D (5+15mcg = 20mcg, 800ius of vitamin D – probably enough).
The other is to increase your light exposure. I have a full spectrum light on my desk and have it on for 30 minutes at the start or end of a day when it’s light.
Hope that helps.
- Question Do you think there is any connection between sugar and ME? It might not show in the glucose test but where would you get a result from to prove it? Or would there be different reasons that sugar could be to blame? A man called Michael Peters believed that sugar was the cause of his daughters ME – he used to promote Ambrotose (I think it is spelled). I have had much more energy on your Low GL diet.. My niece is now very ill with ME. S.EAnswer Have you read my report on Natural Solutions for Chronic Fatigue [https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/natural-solutions-for-chronic-fatigue]. I list the five most common contributors to chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) formerly known as ME, being an underlying thyroid problem; blood sugar problem; a methylationMethylation is what occurs when the body takes one substance and turns it into another, so that it can be detoxified and excreted from the… problem; an unidentified food intoleranceFood intolerance is not the same as a food allergy. Food intolerances tend to cause digestive symptoms such as bloating, cramps and diarrhoea, but are…; or an underlying detoxification problem. Solving any of these common causes of chronic fatigue can transform how you feel very quickly.
- Question Hi! I would like to know that what is the best energy booster not only in the morning, but all day! R.PAnswer I wrote an extensive article on exactly this in my March 2015 (no.86) newsletter. If you’re a 100% Health member you’ll find what you are looking for there. You can also take a look at this article [https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/my-favourite-natural-energy-boosters] available to all on my website.My favourites are Reishi, Siberian, American and Korean Ginseng, tyrosine and B vitamins which is why I put them all in my Awake Food Formula. Try three capsules a day. I also drink Moringa tea. I am hoping we’ll have this available in the New Year. I have a lovely moringa tea with lemon and ginger in South Africa.
- Question What can I use for energy boosting. I’m 59 years old working long hours. I’ m a finance manager and train everyday. Doing bootcamp and v box. But I can feel I’m very tired now. M.V.MAnswer I wrote an extensive article on exactly this in my March 2015 (no.86) newsletter. If you’re a 100% Health member you’ll find what you are looking for there. You can also take a look at this article [https://www.patrickholford.com/advice/my-favourite-natural-energy-boosters] available to all on my website.My favourites are Reishi, Siberian, American and Korean Ginseng, tyrosine and B vitamins which is why I put them all in my Awake Food Formula. Try three capsules a day. I also drink Moringa tea. I am hoping we’ll have this available in the New Year. I have a lovely moringa tea with lemon and ginger in South Africa.
The most common cause of tiredness is losing your blood sugar control. If you follow my low gL diet you will find a big improvement in energy.
You may also like...
Optimum Nutrition Supplements
A one-stop shop for Patrick Holford supplements and books.
Join the Conversation on our Facebook Page