There are a number of good websites that give you the low down on pharmaceutical drugs. These are the ones we’ve found most helpful. If you’d like to find out more about a specific drug simply enter the drug name in the ‘search’ box for these sites.
Center for Medical Consumers
Information on drugs and treatment with an American focus.
A division of Public Citizen, this has detailed accounts of problem drugs but its nutritional information is basic. US based.
Health Care Renewal
A searchable blog with a range of postings on drug critiques.
Healthy Skepticism Inc
‘Countering misleading drug promotion’. A little difficult to find your way around, but a site with much drug company information. Provides links to recommended websites in the UK, Canada, USA, Australia, France, Pakistan and Malaysia.
The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics
As it says, campaigners who don’t believe in the cholesterol and heart attack link. A lot of good material with links to articles from around the world.
‘The Journal of Medical Truth’, this is a heavyweight website focused on vaccines but covering other material as well.
- ‘Evidence based drug therapy’ from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. A source of carefully researched and independent reports.
- These are the books we recommend for more information on the pharmaceuticals industry and drugs
- Abramson, John, Overdosed America: The Broken Promise of American Medicine. How pharmaceutical companies distort medical knowledge, mislead doctors and compromise your health, Harper Perennial, 2005
- Angell, Marcia, The Truth About the Drug Companies: How They Deceive Us and What to Do about It, Random House, 2004
- Deyo, Richard and Donald Patrick, Hope or Hype – The Obsession with Medical Advances and the High Cost of False Promises, Amacom, 2005
- Healy, David, Let Them Eat Prozac, New York University Press, 2004
- Kassirer, Jerome P., On the Take: How Medicine’s Complicity with Big Business Can Endanger Your Health, Oxford University Press, 2005
- Law, Jacky, Big Pharma: How the World’s Biggest Drug Companies Market Illness, Constable & Robinson, 2006
- Medawar, C. and A. Hardon, Medicines Out of Control? Antidepressants and the Conspiracy of Goodwill, Askant, 2004. Available from http://www.socialaudit.org.uk/ 60403162.htm
- Moynihan, Ray and Alan Cassels, Selling Sickness: How Drug Companies Are Turning Us All into Patients, Allen & Unwin, 2005
- Servan-Schreiber, David, Healing without Freud or Prozac: Natural Approaches to Curing Stress, Anxiety and Depression Without Drugs, Rodale International Ltd, 2004
- Walker, Martin J., Dirty Medicine, Slingshot Publications, 1993
- Walker, Martin J., and Robert Schweizer, HRT Licensed to Kill and Maim: The Unheard Voices of Women Damaged by Hormone Replacement Therapy, Slingshot Publications, 2006
- Walker, Martin J., ‘The Brave New World of Zero Risk: Covert Strategies in British Science Policy’, downloadable from http://www.zero-risk.org