It’s fun to serve this vegetarian chilli in taco shells. Serve with a green salad.
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 125g (4.5 oz) mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 small aubergine, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 100ml (3.5 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1-2 teaspoons chilli powder (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- a pinch of mixed dried herbs
- 150g (5.5 oz) red kidney beans, cooked or canned and drained
- 6 - 8 taco shells
- Gently cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the mushrooms, aubergines, tomato puree, stock, spices and herbs and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time. Stir in the kidney beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Heat the taco shells (as directed on the pack), stuff with the chill mixture and serve.
From The Optimum Nutrition Cookbook by Patrick Holford and Judy Ridgeway (£15.99, Piatkus)...
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
Find out more