By adding the watercress to the soup at the very last minute you will get every bit of benefit from its nutrients. Put it all in - even the long stalks.
- 50g (2oz) red split lentils, picked over and washed
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and chopped
- 600ml (1 pint) vegetable stock or water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon mild curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 50g (2oz) watercress
- Place all the ingredients except the watercress in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and puree in a blender. Add the watercress, whizz quickly and reheat. Serve at once.
From The Optimum Nutrition Cookbook by Patrick Holford and Judy Ridgeway (£15.99, Piatkus)...
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
Find out more