GLs per serving: 11
Spanish tortilla is a robust, colourful dish that can be enjoyed as a simple supper or on a picnic. While the potatoes in the recipe have a fairly high GL, the protein from the eggs balance out the overall GL score. This version uses antipasti vegetables, but you could use cooked leftover veg such as French beans, courgettes or mushrooms. Delicious hot or cold.
- 150g (just over 5oz) baby new potatoes (around 8), scrubbed clean but not peeled, and cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 150g (just over 5oz) or 2 roasted red peppers, either from the deli or a jar or roasted at home, cubed
- 2 tbsp marinated artichoke hearts, drained and mashed or chopped into chunks
- 4 medium eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Low-sodium salt or sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1. Place the potatoes in a small pan and just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for around 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Drain and set to one side.
- 2. Heat the oil in a medium-sized frying pan (use a small pan if you are halving the quantities to make a tortilla for one person) and fry the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes or so.
- 3. Stir the peppers and artichokes into the pan and reduce the heat.
- 4. Beat the eggs with the pepper, a little salt and the oregano. Pour evenly over the vegetable mixture in the pan and stir to expose the egg on top to the heat on the base of the pan. Leave the tortilla cooking over a low-medium heat for around 6 minutes or until the eggs are set (the edges and base should be set, with the top still a little soft as it carries on cooking after you remove it from the heat).
- 5. Remove the pan from the heat and loosen the edges and base with a palette knife. Turn the tortilla out on to a plate. Serve hot or cold.
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
Find out more