GLs per serving: 10
When roasted, chickpeas develop a lovely chewy yet crunchy texture. Enlivened with lemon and spices, they are delicious in this taboulleh salad. You can double this recipe and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 140g (just over 5oz) organic Kamut® ancient wheat bulgur, rinsed and drained
- 390ml (13fl.oz) water
- 1 tsp Marigold Reduced Salt Vegetable Bouilllon powder
- 1 x 410g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon and juice of the whole lemon
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas mark 6
- Cook the bulgar wheat in boiling water and the bouillon for only 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the chickpeas in a tablespoon of the oil and the cumin, garlic, lemon zest and juice and sesame seeds.
- Tip the chickpeas into a roasting tin and cook for 30 minutes, shaking halfway through (the sesame seeds should turn golden but not burn).
- Mix the chickpeas into the cooked bulgar wheat with the parsley, black pepper and the remaining tablespoon of oil.
Serving suggestion (per person) serve warm with a rocket and lamb’s leaf salad (total GL = 10)
Variations: the roasted chickpeas make an excellent snack on their own. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Allergy suitability gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast free
This recipe is from the Patrick Holford Low GL Diet Cookbook. Buy it now and get 150 great tasting low GL recipes.