Vegetarian options are included here, and meat eaters’ options are also included for some of the vegetarian dishes. Generally speaking, the recipes are designed for easy adaptation, as far as protein is concerned. Some of these dishes can be prepared in advance and frozen.
Chia and cinnamon oat pancakes with blueberry compote
These little pancakes make an interesting alternative to a traditional pancake or drop scone (Scotch pancake), replacing processed white flour with milled oats and chia seeds. The texture is a little coarser, but they are just as moreish and much, much better for you, being wheat free, low GL and high in antioxidants. If you cannot get hold of chia seeds, you could substitute ground almonds or flax seeds or simply use double the quantity of oats instead.
Serves 4 (makes 8 pancakes, somewhere between the size of a drop scone and normal pancake).
For the blueberry compote: 2 cups of blueberries or mixed berries and a dash of water; 1 tsp ground mixed spice or cinnamon, or to taste
For the pancakes: 45g (just under 2oz) oats; 45g (just under 2oz) milled chia seeds; 35g (just over 1oz) xylitol (or sugar); 1 free range or organic egg; 225ml (about 7½fl.oz) milk or non dairy milk; Virgin rapeseed oil for frying.
- First lightly stew the berries by placing the fruit in a small sauce pan with a tiny dash of water and the spice. You can add other berries too. Bring to a simmer, cover and leave to cook for 3 minutes, or enough to just soften. Taste and add more spice if desired. You could sweeten the mixture with xylitol or brown sugar if you feel it needs it. Reserve, with lid on, whilst you make the pancakes.
- Grind the oats with the chia into as fine a flour as you can. If your food processor leaves the mixture coarse, try a hand blender to achieve a smoother finish.
- Mix the xylitol into the flour.
- Whisk the egg and milk together and stir into the flour mixture to form a smooth batter. The chia absorbs liquid so it will thicken more than a standard pancake batter.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan then spoon in tablespoons of the batter, spreading each ......
The full content of this report is only viewable by 100% Health Club members.
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
JOIN THE WITH A FREEONE MONTH TRIAL MEMBERSHIP.
Find out more