Here’s a wonderfully aromatic alternative to beef stroganoff. Serve with a good pilaf - this one is made with rice and quinoa - and a green salad.
- 15g (1/2 oz) dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 100g (3.5 oz) shiitake mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 100g (3.5 oz) closed-cup mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1 large tomato, skimmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon potato flour
- 50g (2oz) Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
Rice and quinoa pilaf
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, trimmed, peeled and finely chopped
- 70g (3oz) long-grain rice
- 50g (2oz) quinoa
- 3 tablespoons frozen peas
- 275-300ml (10 - 11fl oz) water or vegetable stock
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 50ml (2fl oz) boiling water for 10 - 15 minutes. Gently sweat the onion in the oil for 2 - 3 minutes to soften. Add the remaining mushrooms and steam-fry with the juices from the dried porcini.
- After about 5 minutes add the garlic, chilli and tomato and a further 150ml (5fl oz) water or vegetable stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the pilaf, heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and gently fry the onion. Add the rice, quinoa and peas and stir well. Pour on the water or stock and season with black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the grains are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff up with a fork and serve at once with the mushroom stroganoff.
- Make a creamy paste with the potato flour and a little water and stir into the stroganoff with the yoghurt. Add the fresh coriander and return to the boil. As soon as the mixture thickens, serve with the pilaf.
From The Optimum Nutrition Cookbook by Patrick Holford and Judy Ridgeway (£15.99, Piatkus)...
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
Find out more