You can use any kind of bread to make the breadcrumbs for this recipe but day-old pieces of Tomato Scofa Bread really add to the flavour.
- 2 large red peppers, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 200g (7oz) firm tofu, mashed with a potato masher
- 125g (4.5 oz) carrots, scrubbed and finely grated
- 50g (2oz) fresh rye or wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 25g (1oz) ground almonds
- 4 - 5 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 large head fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- a few sprigs of fresh parsley
- Prepare the peppers. Then take about a quarter of one pepper and chop very finely, keeping the other pieces on one side.
- In a large bowl, mix the chopped pepper with the mashed tofu, grated carrots, breadcrumbs, ground almonds, spring onions and garlic. Stir in the soy sauce and black pepper. Then shape the mixture into four cakes and press down so that they are not too thick. Coat each side with a few sesame seeds.
- Place the carrot and tofu cakes on a piece of foil under a hot grill and add the pieces of red pepper and sliced fennel. Cook for about 10 minutes on each side until the cakes are cooked and vegetables are lightly browned.
- Arrange the cakes on two serving plates with the grilled vegetables around them. Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.
From The Optimum Nutrition Cookbook by Patrick Holford ......
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
Find out more