Carrot and walnut cake
A fabulous tea-time treat that you can enjoy without feeling guilty. The walnuts, carrots and eggs in this cake lower the GL score and provide plenty of varied nutrients. Delicious with a cup of peppermint tea at the end of a long day. If you choose the walnut topping, this cake will keep in an airtight tin for up to 2 days. If you opt for the cream cheese frosting, cover the cake and store in the fridge for 2 days.
50g (2oz) Coconoil (organic coconut oil) or butter (at room temperature)
50g (2oz) Xylitol (available from www.holfordirect.com)
50g (2oz) organic soya flour (available from health food stores)
¼ tsp baking powder
50g (2oz) ground walnuts
50g (2oz) chopped walnuts
1 medium carrot (approximately 75g/3oz) peeled and finely grated
2 medium eggs
For the topping choose from...
Cream Cheese Frosting
50g (2oz) low fat cream cheese
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp Xylitol
2tbsp chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a miniature 10cm/4in cake tin with non-stick paper.
2. Cream the Coconoil or butter and Xylitol together until soft and smooth.
3. Stir in the flour, baking powder and ground walnuts until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Mix in the chopped walnuts and carrot, then stir in the eggs without beating them.
5. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and sprinkle the chopped walnut on top, if using. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is risen and golden. Remove from the oven and cover the top with tin foil, then bake for a further 20 minutes or until the cake cooked. (Tip: insert a skewer into the middle – if it comes out fairly clean then the cake is cooked, if it is still runny then it needs a bit longer). Allow to cool before icing with the cream cheese frosting, if using.
6. To make the cream cheese frosting, mix all the frosting ingredients together well. Spread on top of the cooled cake.
GL's PER SERVING: 5
ALLERGY SUITABILITY gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast free (opt for the chopped walnut topping rather than the cream cheese frosting if you cannot eat dairy products or yeast, and use coconut oil rather than butter if you cannot eat dairy)
Want more great recipes like this delicious carrot and walnut cake? Patrick Holford's Low GL Diet Cookbook contains 150 easy to follow recipes.