GLs per serving: 8
Chilled soups are fast and nutrient-rich and ideal for entertaining, as they are easy to prepare in advance. Serve this deliciously fresh-tasting gazpacho straight from the fridge on a hot day.
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 5cm (2in) chunk of cucumber, quartered lengthways then finely sliced horizontally into small triangles
- Good handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp mild red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 300ml (1/2pt) tomato juice or V8 (vegetable juice)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 dsp of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Stir all the ingredients except for the avocado and pepper together.
- Using a handheld blender or food processor, pulse the mixture to roughly blend it, but leave it fairly chunky for texture.
- Stir in the avocado, sprinkle with the pepper and chill till ready to serve.
Variations: vary the vegetables used - add more chilli and onions if you like it hotter, or use roasted peppers instead of raw ones.
Allergy suitability: gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast free
This recipe is from the Patrick Holford Low GL Diet Cookbook. Buy it now and get 150 great tasting low GL recipes.
MEMBERS have free access to 100's of Reports, a monthly 100% Health Newsletter, free use of the 100% Health programme with unlimited reassessments and big discounts, up to 30% off books, supplements and foods at HOLFORDirect.com.
Find out more