Makes about 14 slices
3 Bramley (cooking) apples, about 550g/1¼lb in total, unpeeled, cored and diced
250g (9oz) ground almonds
2 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
3 medium-sized free range or organic eggs
150g (5 ½ oz) xylitol
Around 85g (just over 3oz) flaked almonds for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line a baking tin, about 20 x 30cm (8 x 12in), with baking parchment.
- Place the apples, ground almonds, cinnamon and baking powder in a mixing bowl and stir together. Set to one side.
- Beat the eggs and xylitol in a clean mixing bowl until they become pale and creamy and start to thicken slightly (the whisk should leave a trail when lifted out of the mixture).
- Gradually fold the apple and almond mixture into the beaten egg, using a metal tablespoon, and taking care not to knock all of the air out of the egg (this is easiest done by drawing a figure of eight shape with the spoon as you fold).
- Quickly pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the flaked almonds. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until golden and fairly firm to the touch (cover the top with kitchen foil towards the end of cooking to prevent the almonds from scorching, if necessary). Leave to cool on a wire rack before cutting into slices and storing in an airtight container.
Rich in essential fats. Low allergy rating (gluten/wheat/dairy/yeast free). Vegetarian. Suitable for freezing.
From Smart Food for Smart Kids by Patrick Holford and Fiona McDonald Joyce, Piatkus, £14.99